It's no doubt that stress and anxiety are issues that many American's face--Over 45% of the population has described their stress level as "high," and around 18% of the population has a diagnosed anxiety disorder.
Add the coronavirus pandemic into the mix, and you've got a situation that could make even the calmest individuals start to sweat; there's the fear for our health, worry over personal finance and economic conditions, and the fact that just about everyone is going stir crazy in quarantine.
Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to relieve stress naturally. First and foremost is by prioritizing diet, exercise, and sleep. These will always, always be the foundations of basic health.
But sometimes, especially in times like these, you might some extra help with stress management. That's when supplements can be extremely beneficial. Plus, lots of the supplements included here have lots of other health benefits. The following products have been researched thoroughly, and the specific suggestions have received great customer feedback over the years.
Let's dive in to the top 8 supplements for stress relief:
1. Magnesium: Did you know that magnesium plays a critical role in over 300 enzyme reactions in the human body? Magnesium is great for heart health, brain health, bone health, muscle soreness, PMS, headaches, and STRESS. It is estimated that over half of the US population is deficient in magnesium and that low magnesium levels are directly related to increased anxiety. Because of all of its various other benefits combined with its ability to help reduce stress, and the fact that most people are deficient in magnesium anyways, makes it a great choice to try for most individuals.
2. L-theanine: L-theanine is an amino acid that is found naturally occurring in tea leaves. Theanine helps promote changes in the brain that collectively reduce anxiety, including boosting levels of GABA, serotonin, and dopamine. It also reduces levels of chemicals in the brain that are linked to stress. Some other positive benefit of l-theanine are improving sleep and focus. One of our most popular theanine supplements is Natural Factors chewable Suntheanine tablets, a fast-acting form that can be used by adults and children.
3. GABA: L-theanine boosts GABA levels, but another option is taking GABA itself. GABA helps block certain signals in the brain which leads to an overall calming affect. Other benefits of GABA include improving sleep, lowering blood pressure, and reducing motion sickness. One of our products that has consistently received excellent customer feedback is GABAMax powder (and the capsule version, GABATrol), which contains a blend of neurotransmitters to reduce stress and improve mood, including GABA, l-theanine, DMAE, taurine, glycine, and TMG. Together these ingredients work to provide an even stronger effect for those who have more severe issues with anxiety and mood.
4. Vitamin D3: Much like magnesium, vitamin D3 provides numerous health benefits but is unfortunately a very common deficiency in Americans. People with higher stress levels have shown to have lower levels of vitamin D3. It has also been shown to help regulate mood and help relieve some symptoms of depression.
5. CBD: CBD is without a doubt the fastest growing supplement in our industry. And for good reason; with benefits like relieving stress, improving sleep, and reducing inflammation, it's appealing to almost everybody. CBD products phytocannabinoids that bind to our body's cannabinoid receptor sites, many of which are in the brain and control mood, stress, and sleep.
6. Omega 3s: Yet another nutrient that most of us do not consume enough of through diet alone even though they have countless benefits. Omega 3 fatty acids are great for the brain, heart, hair, skin, nails, and joints. Studies have shown that consuming high doses of omega 3s (2000 mg/day) can help reduce stress. On a similar note, stress itself can lower omega 3 stores in the body. Our favorite way to consume omega 3s is Barlean's omega swirl fish oil. It tastes delicious (even toddlers love it) but the best part is that it has been emulsified for better absorption. But, the delicious taste of orange creamsicle and key lime pie definitely helps us want to take it every day!
7. Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is one of the most popular and most researched herbs. It is an adaptogenic herb, meaning it works to support the body's adrenal system and functions. It specifically helps lower cortisol levels in the body. The most researched form of ashwagandha is KSM 66, so make sure to check your labels. We like Nutrigold, as theirs is KSM 66, organic, non GMO, and kosher.
8. B Complex: B vitamins are great for nervous system response and for improving mood, memory, and focus. There are even b-complexes made specifically to help lower stress, like Bluebonnet's Stress B-Complex. These typically contain more B-5 and B-12. B vitamins also help with energy production and metabolism--something most of us would appreciate!
We hope everyone is staying healthy during these challenging times. Keep moving, stay active, eat like you love your body, stay rested and hydrated, and do the things that bring you joy. We will get through this; all is well!